Gilead’s Response to COVID-19
Gilead is focused on deploying our resources and decades of antiviral expertise to help patients and communities fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since the outset of the pandemic, we have worked closely with global health authorities to respond through the appropriate use of Veklury® (remdesivir). Veklury is a nucleotide analog invented by Gilead, building on more than a decade of the company’s antiviral research. Veklury has broad-spectrum antiviral activity both in vitro and in vivo in animal models against multiple emerging viral pathogens, including Ebola, SARS, Marburg, MERS and SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
Veklury has been approved or authorized for temporary use as a COVID-19 treatment in approximately 50 countries worldwide.
In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Veklury on October 22, 2020 for the treatment of adults and pediatric patients ≥12 years old and weighing ≥40 kg requiring hospitalization for COVID-19. For the treatment of COVID-19 in hospitalized pediatric patients under 12 years of age or weighing less than 40 kg, the FDA has granted an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for this unapproved use. For more information about the use of Veklury in the United States, including important safety information, please refer to the following links:
- U.S. Prescribing Information
- U.S. Patient Information
- U.S. EUA Information for hospitalized pediatric patients <12 years of age weighing at least 3.5 kg or weighing 3.5 kg to <40 kg
Gilead continues to collaborate with global health authorities, government agencies, healthcare systems, academic institutions, non-profit organizations, and individual researchers and clinicians to share and update information and to bring the full weight of our science to help end this pandemic.
Gilead invented , building on more than a decade of research and experimentation. We continue to invest in antiviral research to improve patient outcomes and prepare for future pandemics.
We continue to study as a potential treatment in hospitalized populations with specific unmet needs, including people with renal impairment, children and pregnant women. More than 40 trials are underway, completed or planned, to further evaluate the potential of in COVID-19 management of hospitalized patients and we are participating in studies testing combinations of with a variety of other treatments in hospitalized patients.
Gilead is also exploring novel oral antivirals for the treatment of non-hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
Learn more about our efforts:
- About Veklury
- Clinical Trial Diversity Initiatives
- Working to Supply Veklury for COVID-19
- Voluntary Licensing Agreements for Veklury
- Veklury Global Marketing Authorizations
- Supply of Approved Products
- Ongoing Support for Community Organizations
- Veklury Development Fact Sheet for Investors and Policy Use – November 2021
- Veklury Pricing Fact Sheet for Investors and Policy Use – January 2021
- An Open Letter from our Chief Medical Officer – Oct 22, 2020
- An Open Letter from our Chairman & CEO – Oct 8, 2020
- An Open Letter from our Chairman & CEO – June 29, 2020
- An Open Letter from our Chairman & CEO – April 29, 2020
- An Open Letter from our Chairman & CEO – April 10, 2020
- An Update from our Chairman & CEO – April 4, 2020
- An Open Letter from our Chairman & CEO – March 28, 2020
Responding to a Global Pandemic
Learn how Gilead is working to create a healthier world for everyone.
For More Information:
Please contact Gilead via email with any questions by clicking here.
Last Updated: January 19, 2021